The TJC is a Jewish community that embraces and invites all to build relationships in a vibrant, welcoming home.
The Taos Jewish Center is dedicated to fostering a positive Jewish identity by providing programs and services that enrich the lives of the people it serves in Northern New Mexico. The Center is open to all who wish to explore and participate in these experiences that reflect and incorporate Jewish ethics, culture and observances.
In January 2002, the founding Board of the Taos Jewish Center, comprised of members of the Shalom Sunday School, B'nai Shalom Havurah, and the Taos Minyan met to discuss the need for an independent facility for the use of these groups and the entire Jewish community in Taos. A community meeting was called and the desire for a community center was apparent. As a result in March 2002, the Taos Jewish Center was incorporated as a non-profit.
In June 2002, the doors of the Taos Jewish Center opened for prayer, classes, and programs. Generous donations of artwork and labor have created a beautiful space complete with a community room, library/prayer room, kitchen, office and classroom area. People of all faiths are welcome at the Taos Jewish Center.
Activities at the Jewish Center have included:
- Shalom Sunday School classes
- Adult education classes including Hebrew and Introduction to Judaism
- Mishnah and Kabbalah study groups
- Workshops and lectures by Rabbi Jack Shlachter, Rabbi Beryl Levertov, Rabbi Sheffa Gold, Rabbi Chaim Schmukler, Rabbi Min Kantrowitz, Rabbi Rami Shapiro, Maggid Andy Gold, Rabbi Mordechai Scher and others
- High Holiday, Kabbalat Shabbat, and Shacharit services
- Annual Peace Chanukah, Purim, Passover, and other holiday celebrations
- Concerts by Rabbi Joe Black, Consuelo Luz, Beyond the Pale, and Kenny Davin Fine
- Art workshops by Diana Bryer, Lia Lynn Rosen, Barbara London, and others
- B’nai Mitzvoth, baby namings, and other life-cycle celebrations
- Weekly exercise, yoga, tai chi, and writing for seniors
- Over 30 film showings
- Meditation and chanting
- Annual Yom Hashoah memorial program
- Interfaith panels, programs, and discussions
- The core of our existence is rooted in Jewish traditions. These form the basis of our programs and services.
- We support the desire of every Jewish person to define his or her own meaning within Judaism.
- We honor and value the principles of loving-kindness, tolerance, justice, education and compassion.
- We welcome people of all ethnic and cultural identities to partake in the understanding of Judaism.
- Owned by our B'nai Shalom Havurah - the Jewish Cemetery is right here in Taos, NM. Click here to learn more and to get directions.
Rose Gordon, former Director
Beth Goldman, former Executive Director
Jude Nuñez, President
Jay Levine, Treasurer
Susan Ressler, Secretary
Lucy Melamed, Member
Neil Friedman, Member
Nancy Harris, Member
Richard Wallach, Member